Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Bayside + Valencia + Terrible Things at The Piazza 1/29

Setting: Standing outside in the freezing cold, getting ready to test out my camera to figure out which settings would work best for an outdoor show.  Terrible Things is about to take the stage when I notice that my camera won’t turn on.  Why?  I left my battery at home.  In Center City.  I am currently in Northern Liberties.  Shit. It’s a good thing that my roommate’s boyfriend was able to meet me at the subway station, shaving 20 minutes off of my trip.


Terrible Things: I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to Terrible Things for missing their set.  I was so looking forward to seeing these guys, as their album is pretty damn entertaining.  I WILL see you guys at a later date and I WILL make it up to you!  (For example, your upcoming show at North Star Bar on March 26.)  I realize that this isn’t that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, but I feel awful.  Silver lining?  I will never ever leave my apartment without my battery ever again.  According to my brother, who was in the front row, they put on a great set.  Not only were they engaging with the audience, but funny too.  Always a plus! 

Check them out here.  Buy their debut album here.  Like them here.  Follow them here.

Valencia: I’ve always heard good things about this band, so needless to say, I was pretty excited to see them live.  For those of you who are unfamiliar, Valencia is a five-piece alternative punk rock band from Philly.  Their energy and stage presence makes them very entertaining to watch as well as photograph.  Unfortunately, the cold weather was too much for JD Perry’s fingers.  His hand and guitar were covered in blood just after the first song, yet he kept playing!  Way to go.  No worries though, the damage wasn’t nearly as bad as it looked on stage.  He will make a full recovery.  My favorite song of the set was “Dancing With A Ghost” off of their latest album by the same name.

Check them out here.  Buy Dancing With A Ghost here.  Like them here.  Follow them here.



Bayside: I was a little hesitant about seeing these guys live, as a friend once passed along an album of theirs to me, and I was less than impressed.  Now that I’ve seen them live, I can safely say that that was a situation of bad timing that has nothing to do with them.  I have learned the error of my ways.  Bayside is a four-piece rock band from Queens, New York.  I don’t know if I had more fun watching them play or watching the crowd go crazy.  I certainly didn’t expect to see crowd surfing and moshing in the middle of the afternoon.  Highly entertaining.  They performed a fantastic Weezer cover, “My Name Is Jonas,” as well as their latest single, “Sick Sick Sick.” 

Be sure to buy their new album, Killing Time, when it hits stores February 22!  Until then, check them out here.  Like them here.  Follow them here.



Overall: After my stress level returned to normal, and I got over my self-inflicted frustration, I thoroughly enjoyed freezing my ass off for a great afternoon of music.  More photos here.

Stay tuned: Cheers Elephant album review and Hollerado show review.

Edited by Becky S.