Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Fashion's Night Out NYC with White Rabbits + Bear Hands + Lissy Trullie at Rockefeller Plaza 9/8


Okay, so I know that this event didn't happen in Philly, but so what. That's the beauty of running your own music blog - I can do whatever I want. I made this call due to the fact that the only time White Rabbits has come through Philly since I became a fan was to open for Interpol, with ridiculous ticket prices... I was not about to pass up a FREE opportunity to see one of my favorite indie rock bands live for the first time.

I made the always frustrating journey to NYC via Bolt Bus. Yeah, you know exactly what I mean. After eating delicious falafel in Washington Square Park and accidentally going to Brooklyn, my talented photographer friend David Turcotte and I headed to Rockefeller Plaza to see and shoot one hell of a show.

Kicking off the show was New York-based band Lissy Trullie. Their upbeat pop rock songs were fun and energetic - a perfect way to start off the show. What made it even more appropriate for a Fashion's Night Out show is the fact that front woman Elizabeth "Lizzy" McChesney, stage name Lissy Trullie, used to be a model. So you don't even have to look at my photos to know that she was well dressed for the event.

SITE | LIKE | FOLLOW | LISTEN

Next up, the Brooklyn-based electro rock band Bear Hands. I had never heard of them before this show, but I liked what few songs I had heard on their site. Apparently they headlined this same show for last year's Fashion's Night Out, and whoever booked this event must have liked what they heard/saw. I'm definitely glad that they asked them back this year so that I could see for myself some of the excellent talent that Brooklyn continuously produces. While I enjoyed White Rabbits' set more (my friends wrongfully disagreed with me), Bear Hands is officially on my radar. They are opening for We Were Promised Jetpacks at Union Transfer on October 29th (tickets). If you're going to this show, please get there early enough to see them. They're worth it.

SITE | LIKE | FOLLOW | BUY

Finally, my chance to see White Rabbits has arrived. With music as good as them, I had no doubt that they would rock just as much, if not more, in person. Despite the opinions of my friends, I was proved right. I always knew my iPod couldn't quite handle their well-crafted songs. Live is definitely the way to go with these guys, as their songs practically exploded on stage. My favorite song of their set was by far "Percussion Gun" for this very reason. I was a little surprised when they continued to play "Rudie Falls," closing their set. In my opinion, "Percussion Gun" would have ended the set much better. Regardless, these six guys from Brooklyn know how to put on a phenomenal set.

Their set list was written in legit code, and I've only cracked about half of it. My apologies. Here's how it was written: Macca / Temporary / Dancing / Collaballam / Damned / Be Confused / Plot /  Punk / Chevy / Ethio / Burnundi / Rudie

Here's how I interpreted it to the best of my knowledge (and help from the internet): Macca / Temporary / While We Go Dancing / Collaballam / Damned / Be Confused / The Plot / Lionesse / Right Where They Left / We Done Wrong/They Done Wrong / All Around / Percussion Gun / Rudie Falls

SITE | LIKE | FOLLOW | BUY