Monday, May 21, 2012

Where Have I Been?


Being a full-time grownup is hard. Sure, the paychecks and benefits are great and all, but the taxes, bills, and general responsibilities take away from that initial excitement over those "big" paychecks. And above all, the job itself creates an amazing amount of stress that you had no way of preparing for.

Why am I rambling about work instead of music? I'll tell you why.

As I'm sure the very few people who actually read my blog are already well aware of, I sort of dropped off the face of the blogging world in the last several months. Bottom line, work is exhausting and took away most of my energy for going out to shows and discovering new music. This post is just a recap of what I was up to.

I probably should have done this prior to posting the Of Monsters and Men and The Boxer Rebellion posts, but I didn't. Deal with it.

Also, apologies to anyone who's gone without an email response. I've been TERRIBLE at responding to emails lately. Consider this a New Year's resolution in May to start responding like I used to. Maybe I'll even find new music this way. Imagine that.

And yes, this post title is in reference to a Manchester Orchestra song. I thought it was appropriate since they're one of the bands that I've been listening to non-stop in my recent new music drought.

---

After shooting 30 Seconds to Mars in NYC, I guess I felt like I had crossed off the band at the top of my "I'd Love to Shoot" list, and didn't know where to go from there. However, shortly after I shot Good Old War and River City Extension for Tri State Indie.

[Flickr / Review]


 ---

The only thing I managed to shoot in January was Norwegian Arms, Nightlands, and Ape School for The Deli. I rented (and later purchased) a speedlight for this show. I had no idea what I was doing, which is why I bought it so I could figure it out later. Still working on that one...


---

While I didn't make into the print issue (submitting by deadline usually helps), I wrote a story on Phonographic Arts for JUMP Philly.


---

While visiting family in Dallas, TX, I managed to catch a couple of days of SXSW in Austin, TX. I was on social media duty for Tri State Indie while I was there.

Diamond Rugs
Heypenny
Seryn!
Maza Blaska
River City Extension
Snowmine
Savoir Adore
American Royalty
Kishi Bashi
---

Next, Purling Hiss and Dr. Dog at the Electric Factory for Tri State Indie. I pushed Murphy's Law to the limit with this show. Fortunately, it turned out to be a great show and a great night.


---

This brings me to Of Monsters and Men and The Boxer Rebellion. It felt so good to be at these shows, mainly because they were the first ones I was at for me and me only. I mean, that was the whole point in starting this blog in the first place - an outlet for me to talk about and share music that I like. Pure and simple.