It's hard to remember, it's hard to remember
We're alive for the first time
It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time
It's hard to remember, it's hard to remember
To live before you die
It's hard to remember, it's hard to remember
That our lives are such a short time
It's hard to remember, it's hard to remember
When it takes such a long time
While searching my iPhone for which music to listen to in the shower today (seriously, it's one of the best places to listen to music), I stumbled upon an almost forgotten old favorite of mine, Modest Mouse. I'm don't even know what they're up to now; recording new material? playing new songs at festivals? Regardless, I'm only here to talk about the music that got me into them in the first place.
Quickly putting together a playlist of song titles that I remembered the most, I hit shuffle, and was ready to go. As soon as I hit play I was taken back to high school, which was when I was first introduced to the indie rock band. I don't remember if it was because of the release of Good News for People Who Love Bad News, or whether it just happened to be right around that time. Man, I really wish I would have seen them live back then... Though I definitely wouldn't pass up the opportunity to do so now, it just wouldn't be the same.
Almost ten years later and their lyrics still resonate with me, particularly the ones in the title of this post from the song "Lives." I'm at the point in my twenty-three-year-old life where I'm realizing the importance of what these lyrics are saying. But listening to lyrics and getting a tattoo as reminders simply isn't enough. All of the cliches in the world are meaningless unless you actually do something about it. Therein lies the challenge.
I'm not really sure what the point of this post is, hence why I labeled it as a "random rant," but I just felt the need to type it out. I've also just missed blogging about music for the sake of doing so. I'm not sure if future posts will be this personal. Who knows? All I know is that music is such an important part of my life and I want to talk about it more here. I don't care if it's new, old, good, bad, or "so last year."
As for Modest Mouse, I'm not even sure if I've listened to their albums post Good News. Maybe it's time I did. Or maybe not.