Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Creeping Weeds + Cheers Elephant + Hong Kong Stingray at Johnny Brenda's 2/12

Setting: Sitting at the bar, realizing that I have several friends in common with two of the members of Cheers Elephant. Such a small world.


Hong Kong Stingray: The show opened with the four-piece Philly-based indie experimental group, Hong Kong Stingray. They didn’t have my full attention due to my frustration at the low light situation (don’t worry, I was able to get a few decent shots). Another reason they didn’t have my attention was due to the lack of energy and synergy in their songs. Everyone was just sort of standing around talking to one another, at least upstairs, instead of getting into the music. They clearly have individual talent with their given instruments, but their songs and performance wasn’t quite up to par. But, while the songs didn’t pull me in, these guys are certainly good at what they do, so I’ll certainly keep an eye out for them in the future. Members: Chet Delcampo- vocals, guitar; Richard Stuverud – drums; Heyward Howkins – guitar; Jared Styles – Bass

Check them out here.


Cheers Elephant: I don’t like to go into shows with too high of hopes, as you set yourself up for a letdown. However, after listening to their latest album over and over for the last couple of weeks, I was expecting a lot from four-piece indie rock group from Philly. And man, did they deliver. They opened with an interesting tribute to Carl Sagan, which I’m still not sure I understand, and went right into their catchy tune, “Shark Attack.” They played some of the best songs off of the album (see set list below), as well as my favorite, “Como Es La Vida” (see video below). With uniquely awesome projector effects to their dance-inducing songs and energy, Cheers Elephant put on one hell of a show. I’m not sure whether my words are doing them justice, so you’ll just have to see for yourself at their next show. Members: Derek Krzywicki- Lead vocals, guitar; Jordan del Rosario- Lead guitar, vocals; Travelin' Mat- Bass, vocals; Roberto Kingston- Drums

Buy their latest album here. Like them here. Follow them here.

Set list:
Shark Attack
6th and Girard
Jumbo Shrimp
Leaves of Brown (working title)
Como es la Vida
Captain Crowninshield
Wasted Time
Space and Time



Creeping Weeds: Cheers Elephant is a tough act to follow. The five-piece Philly-based act, which was celebrating their latest album release, did their best to keep the energy level up. Unfortunately, it didn’t seem to work. The best way I can describe their sound is a blend of mellow indie pop rock. I’m not sure I blame them, as their stage presence was no match for the previous act. Maybe if I saw them completely on their own I would feel differently. But, their songs were good, and they sang and played well together. I might need to check out their album to get a better feel. Members: Pete Stewart, Justin Seitz, Chris Wirtalla, Kate Stewart, Cara Stewart

Buy “See Through” here. Like them here. Follow them here.

Set list (as written by one of the band members):
Fountain
Weekend at the Shore
Master Plan
Sirens
Waltz and a ½
(Wrapped in) Gauze
Vampires
Greetings from SLO
Light in the Window
Hole in the Wall
Outsiders


Overall: It was awesome seeing Cheers in action after reviewing their album.

VIEW ALL PHOTOS HERE!

Stay tuned: Free Energy at The Church 2/18. Guess who's selling their merch again! Come and say hi and buy their stuff.

Edited by Becky S.