Setting: Only a few short months later, and I’m setting up Free Energy’s merch table again. The last time I did this, I had so much fun I was inspired to start this music blog. Talk about déjà vu…
Sweatheart: This 6-piece Philly-based indie pop act started the show with quite a bang. Their ridiculous, in your face attitude had everyone’s attention almost immediately. They had everything from dancers, an inanimate extra band member (see if you can spot him in my pictures), to free relationship advice all in one set! These guys certainly have attitude and stage presence that will have you hanging on every song.
Set list (shorthand):
Goin 4 it
Ken
Lainie
I Wanna Drink U In
Shit Genie
Baby Lynette
What I Would Do
Back Up
Call Me Tonight
Finger B
The Postelles: Up next, the four-piece rock band from New York. Similar to The Strokes and The Kooks (minus the accents), The Postelles have an easy and refreshing feel to their live show. Apparently, there was a dancer theme for the night, as they had two dancers join them on stage for one of their songs. The audience certainly enjoyed their set, as they rushed to their merch table quickly after. You should definitely check these guys out. Members: Daniel Balk (vocals, guitar), Billy Cadden (drums), David Dargahi (lead guitar), and John Speyer (bass).
Set list (semi accurate, written by the drunk lead singer):
Looking Glass
She She
Stella
Hey Little Sister
Hound Dog
Running Red Lights
White Night
Can’t Stand Still
123 Stop
MORE PHOTOS HERE
Free Energy: I was thrilled when I saw that these guys were playing The Church again. I was even more thrilled when they wanted me to sell their merch again. And if that wasn’t enough, I noticed some new tunes in their sound check. How. Exciting. For those of you who are still living under a rock, the five-pieced Philly based indie rock band has been steadily gaining fans and recognition since their debut album, Stuck on Nothing. Their energetic, crowd-engaging shows are not to be missed. They are almost always sold out, or at least super close to it.
Their set was nothing short of awesome. Paul did his fun crowd-pointing thing, singling random people out during the songs, people had glow sticks, and the stage was taken over by the opening bands as well as the audience. Their new songs were a hit, as well as their awesome cover of Funkytown. Back Scratcher was probably my favorite of the new songs, because it embodied the fun and energetic vibes typical of Free Energy. They invited back their comedian friend from last summer’s shows, who I feel is still underappreciated for her efforts to just make us laugh. For those who missed the epic display of indie pop rock music, check out Free Energy on March 3rd at Drexel University. Until then, check out Free Energy here, as well as my very first review here.
Members: Paul Sprangers (vocals), Geoff Bucknum (rhythm guitar, vocals), Nicholas Shuminsky (drums, vocals), Evan Wells (bass), Scott Wells (lead guitar, vocals).
Set list:
Free Energy
Dream
C’mon (new song)
Something in Common
Dark Trance
Wild One
All I Know
Petty
Back Scratcher (new song)
Bang Pop
Funkytown
Hope Child
Overall: It’s always a great night when you meet awesome people and find new music to be a fan of. I would like to thank Brian Flad for braving the horrible lighting at The Church to get these awesome photos.
Stay tuned: Nicos Gun at The Note in West Chester 2/25.
Edited by Becky S.
Edited by Becky S.



















