Hank & Cupcakes: Nick (Nicos Gun) told me that I would really like this indie pop duo from Brooklyn. I was pretty excited to see for myself. With only a drum set and a bass, Hank and Cupcakes packed quite the punch as far as energetic stage presence goes. They had everyone dancing and having a good time by the end of the first song. Between Hank shirtless and wearing suspenders and Cupcakes’ flashy ensemble, you won’t be able to take your eyes off of them! What I really liked was that they were almost as entertaining between songs, interacting with the crowd, as well as the very disgruntled sound guy. While Cupcakes took over this duty, don’t be fooled by Hank’s slightly more subdued attitude, as he is quite the impressive bass player.
Check them out here. Like them here. Follow them here.
Check them out here. Like them here. Follow them here.
MORE PHOTOS HERE
Nicos Gun: H&C were a great introduction to Nicos Gun, the four-piece indie psychedelic rock band from Philly. I knew they would be great, having seen them a couple of times already. They most certainly did not disappoint. They were successful in keeping up the energy created by H&C, and had the crowd dancing throughout their entire set. I was psyched that they played my favorite songs: “Party Cult” and “Dirty Girl.” They also played “Anything,” which they just made a video for in the streets on NYC. See here. They ended their set with the short yet fantastic song “Modern Cool.”
These guys are doing some great things. Stay informed by checking out their new site here. Also “new” is their rad, beat-up RV, which they are about to take on tour. I just hope it doesn’t fall apart…
Check them out here. Like them here. Follow them here.
Check them out here. Like them here. Follow them here.
Set list (as photographed):
Primal
Soldier
Anything
New Explosion
Underground
Party Cult
Blondie
Dirty Girl
Business and Pleasure
City City
Modern Cool
The Spotted Atrocious: I feel bad for not sticking around for these guys, but it was almost 1 AM and I could barely keep my eyes open. My apologies. I will certainly give them a listen and keep an eye out for future dates.
Overall: Tonight had it’s ups and downs (specifically the lack of good engineering between sets), but overall I’m glad I ventured out to West Chester to check out The Note and a great show (referring to Hank & Cupcakes and Nicos Gun).
Stay Tuned: The Pretty Reckless at World Café Live 3/4.
Edited by Becky S.
Edited by Becky S.









